Monday, January 3, 2011

Cygnet Folk Festival


As the Cygnet Folk Festival is nearly upon us again, I thought this would be a timely reminder of my experience there. No, I don't play a musical instrument, but a lot of festival organisers hire me to keep the kids occupied. The folk festival was probably my first major gig performing magic. In those days, I used to wear a mask to cover up my embarrassment of performing in front of people...to hide the reddening face !


I dragged two of my daughters onto the stage, so I wouldn't feel so lonely up there. I was quite inventive back then and I put together a magic box, which when tipped over, would show it empty..then..hey presto...my daughter would appear out of the box...all very magical.


One of my other assistants, was a white rabbit, Kallisi. I had studied all the various ways of magically producing a rabbit, but I thought I knew of a "no-fail" way of doing it. I could just put Kallisi in my hat before the show, and when the time was right....hey presto..and pull the rabbit from my hat. Sounds easy, right ? I was about 10minutes into the show when I realised I was perspiring a LOT. The kids in the front row were starting to laugh because they could see the yellow "perspiration" running across the front of my mask...yes...the rabbit pissed on my head !

No comments:

Post a Comment