Saturday, December 11, 2010

the beginning

I had my first "out of body" experience when I was 12. I was meditating in my bedroom (yes, strange kid, but it was the '70s'), when I found myself floating near the ceiling. I thought all was good until I looked down and saw my lifeless body laying on the bed. Having a religious background, I associated souls leaving bodies with death, so the sight of me laying there, scared the crap out of me and I shot straight back into my body with a huge thud. I never tried to 'astral travel' again...until a couple of decades later.



When I was 14, I died for a short while due to a failed suicide attempt. I thought I had life figured out and I didn't want to be part of it. Again I experienced 'life' beyond the physical. For the next 14 years, I lived life in the fast lane. Sex, drugs and rock and roll to the extreme ! I didn't care how risky my behaviour was, because I knew there was existence after death. This made me a very dangerous person to be around as I didn't have any regard for the sanctity of life.



I was 28 when I had my next 'mind-blowing experience. A total stranger came up to my taxi one night, knocked on the window and gave me a book and she said "you need to read this.." and she then walked away. I was stunned...totally random. The book was Platos Republic and the pages were creased and folded at the part about the shadows in the cave. I didn't read it for several weeks..it just sat in the glovebox. I never saw the lady again, even though I looked for her.



When I did get round to reading the book, it changed my life forever. It probably only took 15 minutes to read the couple of paragraphs that were clearly marked by the creases, but my head exploded in bright light, white noise and a vibration that I thought would be making my cab rock back and forth. It was the first of three times that I heard another voice in my head. It was very much like a 'Matrix' thing, where he was offered the red or blue pill. I was asked if I really wanted to know, or if not, this would all fade from my memory like a dream.....I was told that once I said yes, there would be no going back and for several years after this, I wish I had said no that night. My path to enlightenment was long and slow...and at times lonely and painful.



This is my story...I am not asking for anyone to believe it. I am not more spiritually advanced than anyone else. I am a regular bloke, that has a belief system based on my life's experiences. I am god, but so is everyone else on this planet. Do I believe in God ? Probably not what the general population would consider god...you know...the hippee with a beard and the long white kaftan. I know there is a higher being, energy, that we are all part of, but I wouldn't presume to call it god. Obviously, when talking to my fellow humans, using the god word, is just good way of conveying the picture of a higher consciousness.

1 comment: